By W. Homer Axford
We have received Bayonne’s naughty list from Santa himself, and we will reveal the contents of said list below, but first, there is some business to take care of. Santa was at the City Council Meeting this past week. He chastised the City Council for their naughty behavior — you know, the raising of taxes, the giving out of tax abatements when they said they wouldn’t, oh yeah, and the nepotism and the cronyism. Oh, you missed that? That is because the Council Meeting conveniently had “technical difficulties” just when Santa arrived. That’s ok though, Hudson County View did a great job covering the events that unfolded at the meeting. (Seen Below)
Activists showed their concern for the North Hudson Bosses’ choice to run Bayonne’s animal control duties. Protestors held “Fire DeMarco” signs as they showed their disdain for the City Council’s choice at last month’s meeting. Yeah, fine, fire DeMarco, but don’t forget, the bosses from North Hudson told Jimmy Davis to get this done no matter what the people say, and Jimmy followed orders. Jimmy then instructed Council President Sharon Nadrowski to make the bad deal happen, and she followed suit, too. So fire Davis and Nadrowski, too.
Councilman Gary LaPelusa had a change of heart, however. He initially voted in favor for the contract, but changed his mind, after doing some “research.” We always thought the council people did research before they voted, not after they casted an unpopular vote. So, once again, Gary managed to hide his incompetence from the taxpayers of Bayonne. He called for the contract to be “rescinded” — a hollow gesture with no real meaning…what do they call that? Oh yeah, grandstanding. We don’t get pushed over that easy, hopefully the people watching at home don’t, either.
Teachers March on City Hall
The Bayonne Teachers Union also held a demonstration this past week. Union President Alan D’Angelo confirmed what we had reported on last week. (Seen Below) Davis is trying to take the teachers’ benefits from the state run plan and hand them over to a private Bayonne firm that puts him up in Florida every month. While speaking with the Jersey Journal, Davis tried to deflect responsibility for the teachers’ contract to the Bayonne Board of Education. D’Angelo exposed that lie, too, stating “we negotiated with the Mayor and DeMarco… everything goes through City Hall in Bayonne.” (Seen Below. Skip to 1:08 to hear D’Angelo’s speech.) Nonetheless, the teachers marched and got their message across. Hopefully, Davis realized their benefits aren’t for sale, but if history is any indicator, we doubt this.
BTW, where were all those Davis supporters who cried for a contract and marched with the teachers 2 years ago? Remember those hypocrites? Some of them ran for school board. We guess they don’t have the courage to stand up to Jimmy or maybe they all had a cold.
BBOED Rushes to Hire More
The teachers don’t have a contract, but that isn’t stopping the Bayonne Board of Education from pushing more new hires. A few key Davis people were hired this month, as well as a former City attorney. Attorney Chris Patella was hired by the board for $85,000 dollars a year. The position he was hired to was made up. Just like the newly created “athletic director” of grammar schools. Davis and DeMarco will find any way to keep hiring more of their cronies. Their lust for new expenses is insatiable. Did we mention to expect a tax increase?
The Naughty List #s 1-5 (6-10 next week)
1) Mayor Jimmy Davis: Do we need to explain this one? This is the guy who cried about nepotism, then his first act of office was hiring his nephew to the top spot at City Hall. Though he complained of City Hall spending, his second act of office was to have YOU buy him a new SUV and then he re-floored and refurnished the Mayor’s Office. Honestly, we can’t keep up with the antics of this Mayor, just hit our archives to learn more. More recently, Davis has enjoyed the high life down in Florida. He stays with, well, whoever pays. This month he has shacked up in a wealthy insurance broker’s condo. He paid for the condo with the promise of Bayonne teachers’ benefit plans. Stand strong teachers, your health plan isn’t negotiable! Naughty, naughty, naughty, Jimmy…
2) Council President Sharon Nadrowski: We must admit, this was a tough one, but Nadrowski’s grinch-like attitude on the dias won her this honor. She is a Jimmy Davis foot soldier who votes the boss’s wishes no matter who comes to speak. Not to mention, her rude statements that she directs towards Bayonne residents who come to express their concerns. Nadrowkski is a sorry excuse for a public servant, at best. She treats Bayonne residents as if they were her inferiors, but she doesn’t exactly speak the queen’s English herself. Too harsh? Nah, her condescending attitude garners her everything she gets this holiday season.
3) Business Administrator Joe DeMarco: This guy could have easily been second, but he doesn’t live here, nor was he elected by Bayonne taxpayers. That doesn’t mean he can’t dump on them, though. This guy’s power is ordained by the Mayor and is easily the most hated person in City Hall. This is another member of the “smartest guy in the world” crew. He talks down to everyone in City Hall, as well as everyone he encounters on the council dias. DeMarco thinks he is some sort of political genius. I’m sure Hillary will be giving old Joe a call to run her nationwide operation sometime soon. For what DeMarco lacks in political knowledge, he lacks even more in people skills and good public policy. DeMarco’s public policy revolves around one thing: money. Even without the testimony by P.J. Leonard, that was easy to see. The major problem with DeMarco is that Davis lets him do whatever he wants…and he wants to make money. He lives somewhere else and every year he takes over 100k of Bayonne taxpayer money with him. He has no concern for the Bayonne taxpayer or for Bayonne. Expect major tax increases if Davis continues to let this guy run the show at City Hall.
4) Assemblyman Nick Chiaravalloti: Chiaravalloti is responsible for many of the financial issues that Bayonne faces today. His mismanagement of the BLRA has led Bayonne down a bleak financial path that you are still paying for over 10 years later. At least half of Bayonne voters realized this, as demonstrated by the fact that they voted for a Republican over him — an unprecedented event here in Bayonne. In spite of this, Mayor Davis decided to reward Chiaravalloti with the Assembly seat. They say insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. We happen to be sane, so expect more tax increases.
5) Councilman Tommy Cotter: Cotter has also shown that he will do whatever the bosses tell him, no matter what Bayonne taxpayers say. Cotter also legally took $1,000 from a developer …. the week before he voted on an important issue that involved that developer. He should have abstained from that vote. On many occasions, Cotter has shown that he doesn’t fully understand that legal doesn’t equal ethical.
Two tragedies took place this week in Bayonne. A 100+ year old house was torn down and a Broadway icon closed down. Naples Pizza of Broadway is closing its doors for good. Good thing Jimmy Davis is Mayor. He is really fulfilling his promises to preserve Bayonne and revitalize Broadway.